Saturday, September 22, 2012

Queen on Capitol Hill

Last week, I had the HONOR of participating in Zeta Day on the Hill and Sigma Day on the Hill as a panelist. EXCITEMENT! My outfit of choice for the day nearly stole the show, but I wasn't mad at it. I have been waiting since July for the perfect occasion to wear my metallic silver-checkered-three-quarter sleeved-belted jacket-skirt suit I ordered from NINE WEST. Coupled with my patent leather (nine west) 4-inch-platform-peep-toes, I was READY! As I approached the Russell Senate Building I said to myself..."I belong here. #smirk"

International President of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, the Honorable Mary B. Wirght

My day kicked off with the Zeta panel. The goal of the panel was to help the women of Blue & White understand how we can be better advocates for major issues in our communities; particularly health, wellness, and education. My purpose was to discuss innovative ways to teach health education. There's nothing like contending with three other subject experts to teach you how to create an effective soundbite. Here's my favorite quote that made it to Twitter: "It's important to be innovative when teaching health. Adults like to have fun too." Simple, yet profound. *pats self on back*

International President of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated, the Honorable Jimmy Hammock

After the panel and a few photos, I threw on my ballet flats and booked it down the Hill to the Rayburn House. I arrived just in time to join the nine other panelists. I had to shift gears quickly, as this panel was all about empowering  youth against bullying and violence. The panelists were asked to share stories about obstacles they have faced and how they overcame them. After a while, the audience (primarily composed of high school students) joined in the sharing. I was absolutely moved by the amount of strength that was present in the room. I am overjoyed that I had the opportunity to be a part of the discussion. Never did I think I would find such inspiration on Capitol Hill, but that goes to show you never know where your next blessing will come from!

Congratulations to the Finer Women (my Sorors) of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and my brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. on two successful, well executed events. Please  don't forget to invite me back next year ;).

The esteemed panel at Sigma Day on the Hill
<3 Amina Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment