Friday, September 7, 2012

The Crowning Moment

When I woke at at 6:30AM on Sunday, September 2nd, I could not tame my excitement as my friend and I piled my Pageant wardrobe into the car. The journey from the Nation's Capital to Hunt Valley, MD is not a long one, but that day it seemed to take forever.
 
I had never competed in a one day pageant, so I was prepared for hard work. What I realized was that the group of ladies were so fun and vibrant, it didn't seem like work at all. We shared laughs, stories, safety pins, and most importantly...the experience!
 
Once we were done with our lunch and took a breather, preparation for the show was in full swing! Time was of the essence, but we all took time to help each other as necessary. Also, shout out to all the backstage helpers! Everyone lined up in their fuchsia dresses and it was lights, camera, ACTION!
 
The show ran exceptionally smooth as we all graced the stage with elegance and poise. The emcee, "Flair," was energetic and kept the crowd engaged. I was so elated to take part in the Pageant that it all feels like a dream. Good thing my friends captured great photos so I can be forever reminded of my neon green sports bra during the fitness portion and my bright apple red evening gown! As the competition ended and we waited backstage for the scores to be calculated, there was a sense of calm. I believe we were all taking a moment to be proud of ourselves for what we had accomplished that day. After just a few minutes, we were called back on stage for crowning. They named the special awards winner...Mrs. Evelyn, who swept several categories and Brooklyne (Teen) as the overall fitness winner! Then they crowned the new Teen Queen. By this point I was about ready to hit the floor...but Miss was up next! I stepped to the front of the stage with my SisterQueens. When 2nd runner up was called and it wasn't me...I just started saying to myself "God you have brought me this far, if I don't win I know its for a reason.". But I quickly found out that I did win...and that was for a reason as well.
 
Soon after crowning!

Pictured with Mrs. Jonzetta "Pinky" Carter, Owner/Director of Exquisite Pageants

The New Queens! L to R: Mrs. Exquisite Intl. Classic, Ms. Exquisite Intl., Mrs. Exquisite Intl., ME, Miss Teen Exquisite Intl.
 
It is an absolute honor to be crowned the Miss Exquisite International 2012! Exquisite Pageants is a system where women of all ethnicities, sizes, and ages can feel comfortable. The Director, Mrs. "Pinky" takes pride in her Pageant and goes above and beyond to make sure her contestants are taken care of. I am so excited to begin my reign as one of the new Queens of Exquisite!
 
<3 Amina Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment